I tried a fairly major software change on my imaging setup, but it was a failure. — I couldn’t make it work.  Even worse, the tracking software  several times ran the telescope into the tripod and ground the gears in the mount in a very frightening way.  So I went back to the previous setup.  Fortunately, the Andromeda Galaxy  is now visible, and I was able to get a nice image, to prove that things were still working.  Everyone has seen this a million times, but it never gets old:

M31, the Andromeda Galaxy

Edit: here’s an improved version of the above image — more exposures, better processing.  Barely noticeable at mobile device scale, but full size you can see the difference…

Improved image of M31

Leave a Reply